Saturday, October 2, 2010

MRS. Degree

Sooooo I'm sitting in the dining room of the house that I share with two of my sorority sisters...my dinner is in the microwave (rice, beans, and steak leftover from some Argentinean restaurant we went to last night); my roommate is cooking dinner for herself as well an her fiancĂ© too. She is in there, apron on, recipe book in hand, cooking away while her “significant other” is playing video games. I walk in after getting home from the supermarket with all of my fixings to make homed salsa to go with my dinner and she is in the kitchen whipping around making a plethora of things (to freeze she says). I’m sorry but that doesn’t sound fun to me.

To me it seems too much like June Cleaver. I’m not a fan.

I used to think that was all that I really wanted. To go to college, meet my man, and settle down with a family (the epitome of a MRS). And now I’m totally, for the most part against it. I don’t see how people can do it. It seems super boring. I have so much that I would like to do with the rest of my life, so many places to go and I don’t want to be held back by anything.

The thing that gets me the most is that I know they give me looks of pity because I’m not in a relationship, and nowhere near the “stage” of life that they are. Sometimes I feel like they look down on me when they (both of my roommates and their boyfriend/fiancĂ©) are planning “couples” stuff. I’ll talk about my love of foreign food, languages, and my passion for traveling and they look at me like I’m stupid for having all these things I find interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment